Sunday, January 1, 2012

Holiday Haze

First and foremost, happy new year! It's hard to believe that 2011 is already over. It was a great year, but I have a feeling that 2012 will be even better! 


Although I always look forward to the holidays, I'll admit that I'm happy they're over. Things are so hectic around this time of year that's it's incredibly difficult to establish any kind of routine. I'm actually really proud of myself for staying on track with my training over the last three weeks, but I blew the disciplined streak I had going after this weekend. 


Brendan and I were invited by his old roommate to spend the weekend in Plymouth, NH. About 30 people pitched in to rent an old ski lodge (pictured below). Originally, I planned to run the 5 miles my schedule called for on Saturday, but Brendan quickly shut down that idea. He said that if I attempted to navigate the streets of New Hampshire on my own, I'd end up lost and alone somewhere in Maine. I hate to admit when he's right about something, but he knows me well. His argument was enough for me to convince me to run on Sunday instead. 


Frontenac Ski Lodge in Plymouth, NH


When I made that adjustment, I should have known that doing anything physical today would be a challenge. While this weekend was a blast, it was also exhausting. When I woke up this morning, it was a struggle to get myself packed and in the car, but I felt (somewhat) confident that I'd be rearing to go by the time we were back in Boston.


Well, I was wrong. When I walked in the door, the Patriots game had just started and my couch was calling my name. That run didn't stand a chance.


I'm not proud of myself for taking an unplanned day off, but I am still going to get those 5 miles in tomorrow. From there, I'm resolving not to deviate from my training schedule in this way again. If I mess with anything, it can't be my longer weekend runs. And if I only follow through on one new year resolution, it has to be that one. 


Speaking of resolutions, my other ones are kind of stupid. I didn't realize it until I started talking to my roommates and co-workers about what they had in mind. Basically everyone I talk to is planning to become a better person this year in one monumental way or another. i just want to go grocery shopping more frequently. Maybe next year I'll set a higher standard for myself. 


Talk to you all soon! Happy 2012 (again)! 

2 comments:

  1. Shnoops! I'm so proud of you. Don't be so hard on yourself about missing a workout. Holiday time is so hectic and I'm sure you're back on your routine and feeling great.

    Running a marathon is a HUGE resolution in itself! You could have easily stopped there.. but I agree that grocery shopping more frequently is an excellent goal for us city gals.

    Keep up the positive 'tude and good work! Miss you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a cutie pie, T! I miss you so much!! Love you! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete