Wednesday, December 14, 2011

And So It Begins

One of the materials that was given to runners at last week's team meeting was a training schedule. According to Dr. Weinstein, this particular schedule is great for 1st time marathoners and he assured us that if we follow it closely, we won't feel like we're going to die on Marathon Monday. Considering he's done this dance over 20 times and seems like the nicest man on the planet, I'm going to trust him.

This training schedule has me running 4x per week, cross training 1x per week and resting 2x per week. A more specific breakdown is below. 

Mondays: Rest
Tuesdays: Easy, short run
Wednesdays: Difficult short run 
Thursdays: Easy, short run
Fridays: Rest
Saturdays: Long run
Sundays: 1 hour of cross-training 
 
Santa - I'll take a new digital camera too, thanks!


Generally speaking, distances of my mid-week, short runs increase bi-weekly whereas the Saturday long runs increase by a mile or two each week. The program is designed to build endurance and stamina at a slow, steady pace in order to avoid injury. That said, the first few weeks of my training aren't daunting at all, but once I hit mid-February things are going to get tough! We're talking 15+ mile runs during the coldest months in New England. If anyone is still Christmas shopping for me, hats and gloves may be the best way to go. 

My training officially kicked off on Monday, but given that it was a rest day I flexed my shopping muscle at Britt Ryan on Newbury Street after winning a $200 gift certificate there! The next thing I win will probably be the marathon.

The rest of the week has me racking up 15 miles - most of which will probably happen on the dreadmill treadmill. I'm sure I'll check in again along the way. In the meantime, don't forget to donate to support the cause! 

No comments:

Post a Comment